Family Law Attorneys in Germantown & Somerville
Putting Clients First in West Tennessee Since 1996
Dealing with a change in family circumstances is never easy, but that challenge can be especially difficult if it requires legal enforcement or intervention. Whether you are facing the possibility of a divorce or seeking a change in child custody, you need a knowledgeable, compassionate legal team by your side.
Our team at Snider & Horner, PLLC understands how difficult family legal matters can be, which is why we offer client-focused legal services that aim to make the process as simple and efficient as possible. We have decades of experience with a variety of legal issues and have a firm understanding of Tennessee law. However complex your situation may be, we can listen to your story and create a legal strategy that honors your priorities and aims to obtain the best possible resolution for you and your family.
Call (901) 730-8880 today to discuss your Germantown & Somerville family law case with our attorneys. We offer services throughout West Tennessee.
Types of Family Law Cases We Handle
Family law encompasses a broad range of challenging matters that must be handled with tact and professionalism. You and your family’s future and well-being are at stake, so our Germantown family law attorneys take these cases very seriously.
At Snider & Horner, PLLC, we are prepared to assist you with a variety of family law and divorce matters involving:
- Adoption: Growing your family can have more legal implications than you might think. If you wish to pursue adoption, we can help ensure all legal requirements are met so you can focus on what’s important– your child.
- Alimony: Just like child support payments, alimony should be carefully decided to ensure that fair payments are made.
- Child custody: Whether you are fighting for sole custody or need to navigate the terms of joint custody, we keep you and your children’s best interests in mind,
- Child support: Child support payments should be fair and reasonable – we can help make sure you are awarded or pay the appropriate amount of money.
- Divorce: If you and your spouse decide to go your separate ways, there are several other matters to consider, such as alimony, child custody, support payments, and property division. We can create a customized strategy to help you pursue a peaceful, fair resolution.
- Grandparents’ rights: In some cases grandparents might obtain certain rights, whether they are a child’s primary caretakers or they wish to seek visitation rights. Depending on your situation, we can provide you with legal guidance.
- Guardianship: In situations where children cannot be cared for by their parents, guardians must be appointed. Whether you wish to appoint a guardian or become a guardian, there are several legal parameters to consider– we’re here to provide you with the support you need.
- Modifications: After a divorce has been finalized, you may be able to request modifications as circumstances evolve and change – and our team can help.
- Paternity: Whether you’re seeking to prove paternity to gain parental rights or to ensure your children receive spousal support from their biological father, proving legal paternity can help.
- Property division: Tennessee is an equitable distribution state, which means all martial property must be divided equitably (fairly, not necessarily equally).
- Pre- and post-nuptial agreements: Whether you are drafting an agreement or upholding it during divorce proceedings, we aim to make sure your needs are represented.
We know family legal cases often spark high emotional responses and very challenging conversations, especially when children are involved or when a case goes to court. Our team understands what you’re going through and our primary objective is to help you find the best possible solution for your family as quickly as possible.
Frequently Asked Family Law Questions
Do I Need an Attorney for a Divorce in Tennessee?
While an attorney isn’t required for a divorce, or other related family law matters, it is very encouraged. The divorce process can get tricky fast, even if you and your spouse agree on most aspects of your divorce. There are several legal implications to consider, and doing so without a qualified legal advisor could compromise your outcome and may favor your spouse. If you want to ensure your rights are protected, especially if your spouse hires an attorney, it is always best to seek legal representation early.
How is Child Custody Determined in Tennessee?
You and your co-parent may be able to determine your own child custody arrangement outside of court if you are able to agree on a parenting plan in mediation. However, if the case goes to court, a judge will determine how to award custody.
Tennessee courts will consider the following factors when awarding custody:
- The child’s best interests
- The health of either parent
- Any history of domestic abuse
- Any history of substance abuse or violence
- The child’s wishes (if they are mature enough to decide)
- The stability of the child in their current home and community
- Each parent’s ability to meet the child’s needs
- Each parent’s willingness to encourage a relationship between the child and the other parent
The court will consider legal and physical custody of the child, and may award joint or sole custody.
Reliable Legal Support Throughout West Tennessee
However complex your family matter may seem, our firm is standing by, ready to help. Since opening our doors in 1996, we have focused heavily on providing our clients with the personalized, dedicated attention they deserve. Allow our attorneys to help your family through your current situation and guide you towards an amicable, beneficial resolution.
If you have questions about your family matter, don’t hesitate to call one of our West Tennessee family attorneys from Snider & Horner, PLLC at (901) 730-8880 today.
Hear It From Our Clients
“I will forever be grateful to this office for aggressively fighting for my rights.”- Jospeh
“This law firm is the bomb! I have used Kevin Snider, Gail Horner and the rest of the team for many years in all types of matters. They are all amazing and I would never go anywhere else!”- Adolfo